youtube no sound

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 25 12:01:14 UTC 2008

James Knott wrote:
> Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
>>> I can't hear youtube on either of my computers. One computer is
>>> running XP and the other is running ubuntu 8.04. From both computers
>>> I can play music (for example from Nuendo in XP and from Totem in
>>> linux).
>>>
>>> So, I'm thinking the problem is with youtube or my ISP blocking the
>>> sound or whatever.
>>
>> I just called my ISP. They told me that they are not doing anything
>> new that would interfere with sound from youtube. They said I will
>> have to contact youtube directly (as if that would be possible). So,
>> what's the 411? Is youtube limiting streaming (if that's what it's
>> called) to get people on paid subscription in anticiptaion of the new
>> Canadian copyright laws or what? Youtube has become a critical tool
>> in giving guitar lessons. Students come in asking to play songs I've
>> never heard. So, I go to youtube, type in "Wonderwall Oasis", listen
>> to the song, download the tab, and we're off. I would probably pay
>> for a youtube subscription if I had to.
>
> I had sound from Youtube as recently as yesterday on OpenSUSE (Rogers)
> and this morning on XP (Sympatico).  Try this link:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI0AEJkotzM

That didn't work either.

> Can you move either computer to another location or ISP?  What happens
> if you try other sites that provide sound?

Thanks for your troubleshooting tips. As it turns out they weren't
necessary. I decided to do a shutdown / cold boot (I know, we're
supposed to believe that is NEVER necessary in linux). Good thing I did
because ubuntu would not shutdown, it just hung (oops, there I go
again), so I did a Ctrl+Alt+F3, ran 'shutdown now', then ubuntu offerred
me a recovery mode screen from which I chose 'repair packages', that ran
(I think the app is dpkg) and asked for confirmation ('Y') to fix some
apps, I entered 'Y', dpkg did its thing, then offered me the recovery
mode screen again from which I chose 'reboot', the machine rebooted and
youtube is playing sound now.

:)

Why youtube won't play in XP I don't really care because I'm not
interested in troubleshooting Windows, and since it is a dedicated
Nuendo machine I shouldn't really even be going on the Internet with it.

Thanks everyone,

Chris