Cloning a running Linux OS

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 10 14:35:20 UTC 2008

Just out of curiosity, while do you need to clone it while it is running?
In most cases, I've managed to clone a non-running OS by plugging in a
secondary drive (via USB or as a slave) and then mounting and
tar-copying the files

cd /path/to/drive/mount
tar -cf - * | tar -xvf - -C /path/to/new/mount

(or if you want it in a file, just tar to it).

Tar's a little nicer about copying any special file attributes etc
than a normal "cp"

Depending on what's running, you might be able to get away with
tar'ing most of the drive live. Just skip the files in /dev and a few
other places because I believe some of those
behave a bit oddly (like copying memory-related /dev entries).

- TJA