pcHDtv5500

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 8 02:53:09 UTC 2008

On 9/6/08, Mel Wilson <mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
>> On 9/6/08, Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>   >> and more importantly
>>>
>>> http://www.metacafe.com/watch/762088/coat_hanger_hdtv_antenna_better_than_store_bought_amazing/
>>
>> and in another e-mail Dave Cramer noted:
>>
>>> http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/design.htm
>>
>> The above two links are focused on what are sometimes referred to as
>> bow-tie antennas (as the receiving elements do kind-of look like a
>> bow-tie). These antenna are considered good for UHF channels (at
>> present all the digital TV stations in the GTA are UHF, so this is
>> fine...). There are a number of similar plans for these antennas on
>> the Internet. There are also commercially made versions of these
>> antennas available at some local electronic shops...
>
> I was trying to improve reception on the few channels I do get, and
> ran across the Slim Jim antenna <http://www.hamuniverse.com/slimjim.html>

Here you are talking about an antenna aimed at amateur radio, nothing
wrong with that (my callsign is VE3ZAA), but not quite what you are
after for TV reception...

Here is a plan for a VERY simple, cheap, easy to build, but limited TV antenna:

  www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/dipole.html

Note how the antenna is biased towards one channel... Also, do
remember that with HDTV the channel numbers that displays on screen
may not have ANYTHING to do with the channel that the signal is being
transmitted on (the channel number to display on screen is just one
more piece of data to be transmitted...). The
www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/index.html site notes the "real" and
"displayed" channel numbers, like the Buffalo NBC station transmits on
channel 33-x, but displays channel 2-x...

> It's ostensibly a single-channel thing feeding 50 ohms.  It must have
> some kind of bandwidth, but I don't know how much.  It seems as though
> a channel 17 version would require about 2 feet of twin-lead to build.
>   Anybody try one of these?
>
> 	Mel.

Colin McGregor