[mythtv-gta]: Re:pcHDtv5500

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 8 12:27:16 UTC 2008

On 9/8/08, R. G. Newbury <newbury-Q6Ug6qEURudg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:

>>> Ditto the thanks here, I had no idea til now that I could get OTA HDTV.
>>> I'm
>>> going through the hdtvantennalabs site now, though, and I'm stuck at one
>>> point:
>>> the 2nd step involves finding hdtv broadcasts in order to determine the
>>> best
>>> type of antenna. Is there and equivalent method that would give me
>>> similar
>>> info
>>> for the broadcasts here in Toronto?
>>
>> I am not aware of any automated tools like the one noted on the
>> www.hdtvantennalabs.com site. However, the
>> www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/index.html site does note where the various
>> transmitters are in the GTA (do note, I gather the only two
>> transmitter sites for HDTV inside Toronto are the CN Tower and First
>> Canadian Place (Bank of Montreal building))... So, you can work out
>> how far you are from the CN Tower/First Canadian Place and the various
>> Buffalo area transmitter sites...
>
> There are no automated tools, but, if you go here:
>
> http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/Canada_TV_Stations/
>
> there are lists of ALL Canadian and most border state TV stations. THe
> listings give, among other things, the latitude and longitude of the
> station. If you know *your* lat and long, from a map, chart or GPS, you
> can go here:
>
> http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm
>
> And use the Java calculator, to calculate the bearing and distance
> between any 2 lat/long positions. (It appears to be true bearings only,
> not the magnetic bearing, so add 10 degrees for the magnetic variation
> (Toronto area) if you are pointing your antenna using a compass.
>
> If you go here:
>
> http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv
>
> There is info about all the GTA area TV stations, with channel numbers
> (what they actually transmit on, and what they call themselves) etc.
> plus a great map (scroll down). The linked 'big map' is big enough that
> you can plot the bearing to any station using a nearby major intersection.
>
> And this is a copy of a post I put up at remotecentral back in March 2007:
>
> **************
> Since where to point the antenna and 'how far is it' are common
> questions, these are the coordinates of the various HD stations, and the
> bearing and range from my place in Clarkson. The angle between the
> Toronto and Buffalo bearings is 84 degrees in my case...so I may need 2
> antennas. Also the bearing and range from the CN Tower to Grand Island
> for reference. Bearings are magnetic and range is NAUTICAL MILES.
>

> Co-ords: Clarkson 43: 31'30" 79: 36'40"
>
> Co-ords  CN Tower 43: 38'30" 79: 23'10"  Course   63 Range 12.03
> Co-ords  Grand Is 43:  1'48" 78: 55'15"  Course  144 Range 42.32
> Co-ords  WKBW     42: 38'14" 78: 37'11"  Course  150 Range 67.55
> Co-ords  WGRZ     42: 43'07" 78: 33'47"  Course  146 Range 66.70
> Co-ords  WIVB     42: 39'33" 78: 37'33   Course  149 Range 67.55
> Co-ords  WNED     43: 01'48" 78: 55'15"  Course  144 Range 42.32
> Co-ords  Hamilton 43: 12'27" 79: 46'28"  Course  210 Range 20.34
>
> Coords: CN Tower to Grand Island         Course  160 Range 41.94

Excellent points, but also note that for latitude and longitude, there
are two other routes available. If you can read a topographic map you
can download those maps from
http://www.calgarymountainclub.com/home.php?page=maps .

Or beg, borrow or steal a GPS unit (of late I have taken an interest
in Open Street Map, so I bought a $20 Microsoft GPS receiver from
Factory Direct (yes the receiver is well supported under Linux :-)
)... That is another way to get accurate numbers...

Colin McGregor