Low-end scanners with good Linux support

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 2 14:38:45 UTC 2008

| From: John McGregor <mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| I have a Canon Canoscan LiDE 25 that works great with Mepis 7.0 and
| Mandriva 2008. It's currently available at Staples for $49.96.

  http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?webid=618438&AffixedCode=WW

Interesting.  pricegrabber.ca doesn't find that price.  Looks like a good
choice.

Staples is not listing Vista as a supported OS for this scanner.
That might be a mistake or it might be the reason it is being sold
off.  In any case, it suggests that the model might be oldish.

I've not looked for scanners recently.  Looking now, it seems as if
the prices have moved up.  Maybe this is because multifunction devices
have taken over the low end.  I bought one for $20 that Linux
supports (supposedly -- I haven't unpacked it yet).

The LiDE series scanners are quite thin which seems like a good thing.
The next one up at staples, at almost twice the price, has twice the
optical resolution in each direction.
  http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=716136&affixedcode=WW