project: blogging software

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 27 15:50:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I'm quite sure that *enormous* portions of the functionality that
>> keeps getting re-implemented in platforms like WordPress, Slashcode,
>> Drupal, PostNuke, and such did NOT get thought through in the fashion
>> that Pierce suggested *BACK IN 1995!*
>
> When getting started as a web developer (~'04), I ran directly into
> code-reuse problems.  Particularly since I didn't know anything beyond
> simple HTML.  Now, after "jumping ship" from systems and applications
> programming to web development, I wish I had systems-like RIA
> libraries.  I think they're the way to go.

Minor quibble:  The point here isn't about code reuse.

Tom Limoncelli (I thought it was Tim Pierce's essay, then when I tried
checking attributions, the "Tom" reference evidently confused me!)
isn't particularly arguing for code reuse; he's arguing against going
off and solving the wrong problem.  And against redesigning, badly,
something that others have already thought about carefully.

It sure seems to me that the "web news/web discussion/blog" approach
has gone down the road of "duplicatively redesigning the same thing,
badly."  It hasn't just happened once - it has happened many times.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling