project: blogging software

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 27 02:45:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've tried Wordpress and a number of other blogging and found them a
> little lacking.  Recently however I started playing around with
> b2evolution and have to admit I'm quite impressed.

I'm a little curious as to what could be "lacking" in such systems.

The essentials to a blogging application ought to be eminently simple:

* The *first* purpose is to allow the author to record "diary" entries
that are publishable as HTML and RSS/XML.

* A second purpose, that I'd consider pretty secondary, would be to
allow the public to add comments to your diary entries.  I am not
certain this is actually a good idea; I would tend to think that if I
want to comment on someone's blog entry, I should put a blog entry on
my own site.

It seems to me that creating "whole platforms" for this is really excessive.

<rant>
Furthermore, it seems to me that the whole set of blogging technology
falls afoul of Tom Pierce's article, "Read This Before You Write a
Newsreader, News Transport System, etc."
http://www.newsreaders.com/misc/twpierce/news/newsreader-manifesto.html

I'm quite sure that *enormous* portions of the functionality that
keeps getting re-implemented in platforms like WordPress, Slashcode,
Drupal, PostNuke, and such did NOT get thought through in the fashion
that Pierce suggested *BACK IN 1995!*

These systems *are*, in effect, news readers, with HORRIBLY kludgy
aspects of news transport (e.g. - in that, in the absence of
intentional interoperability standards such as NNTP, they present
Guantanamo-like imprisoning captive interfaces).
</rant>
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results."  -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling