debian and nvidia drivers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 20 14:24:53 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 05:29:21PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> I see what you mean. After the second time an update broke my nvidia install,
> I relented and installed the nvidia packages. It's fairly trivial to rerun the
> the nvidia installer every time, but it is not optimal and I would think risky.

Remember: Just say no to 3rd party installers.  They are a large part of
why windows gets so messed up over time.

> Since I switched from Lenny to Testing, the drivers were in the non-free repos
> and installed without a hitch. As you mentioned before, the version is actually
> very up to date, only a few minor revisions back from where the 'official'
> nvidia installer is.

Lenny and testing is the same thing at the moment.  The drivers entered
testing last week (finally). :)

> Thanks for your advice, I must say one reason I switched to Debian was your
> many endorsements.

I have used it for almost 10 years now, which is hard to believe given
how many versions of redhat I ran, not to mention slackware and SLS.  I
haven't seen any other distribution provide a reason for me to consider
switching yet.

--
Len Sorensen