GPS for Eee PC 4G?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 1 19:27:55 UTC 2008

On 9/29/08, matt-oC+CK0giAiYdmIl+iVs3AywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org <matt-oC+CK0giAiYdmIl+iVs3AywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I saw mention of the fact that the GPS unit that comes with Microsoft
> Streets and Trips can run under some installs of Linux.  Anyone know
> if it works with the Xandros install that comes with the Eee PC 4G
> model?  I'm working on a way to mount both the laptop and a small GPS
> on my bike, to help with the Open Street Maps project, but I don't
> want to spring for the GPS unless I'm reasonably certain it will work
> with the laptop.

I can not say with certainty about your hardware. I do know that we
are not talking anything fancy or exotic when it comes to interface...
Will you be at the next TLUG meeting? If so I could bring my Microsoft
GPS along with me for you to test...

You will need a copy of the gpsd program (driver program), and a copy
of xgps a utility that displays a list of currently visible
satellites. If we can get a list to show up on xgps then you're off to
the races.

Colin.