Debian Lenny and release dates

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 16 05:08:47 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:30:15AM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> > But when is it that a dist-upgrade is performed?
> >
> > ...a bright star in the East?
> >
> > ...a Wizard comes to my house and gives me a scroll?
> >
> > Would I then be running 'Squeeze'?
>
> You do a dist-upgrade any time you want to install any updates.  There
> is no time a dist-upgrade would be the wrong choice for installing any
> updates.
>
> You will be running whatever your /etc/apt/sources.list says to download
> packages from.  If it says stable then you will be running whatever is
> currently the stable release.  If it says a release name, then it will
> use that release, no matter what the release state is.  So listing lenny
> would mean running testing right now, and eventually stable when lenny
> some day is released, and eventually a few years from now it would
> become old-stable and you can continue to use it until it is eventually
> archived.  Listing stable means running whatever is currently the stable
> release.  Currently etch, and in a few months (hopefully) it would
> change to lenny, and then in a few years to squeeze or whatever.

Ah, okay. So what I think I was really looking for was to be running 'testing',
not 'lenny'. I would like to always be in the 'testing' state, at least for
this box.

Thing is, is it safe for me right now to change my sources.list from lenny to
testing, and just run with that? Or should I immediately run a dist-upgrade? I
just installed lenny a couple of weeks ago, so they can't have diverged yet,
right?