debian and nvidia drivers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 13:14:16 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 11:01:19PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> I got the nvidia drivers working using the installer, though I must say the
> performance is not what I experienced before on the same machine.

Probably means it isn't installed correctly.

> Okay, from what I read from the various howtos it looked a lot more
> complicated. I'll definitely try the packages then, but...

It isn't complicated, and it doesn't break on upgrades the way the
nvidia installer's mess tends to.

> Is that why I did not see them in the software installer? I have non-free
> enabled, but didn't see any nvidia packages.

Yeah they simply aren't in lenny yet, even though they are built for
lenny.

If you temporarily add unstable to your sources and install just the
nvidia packages, it should work, then you can remove unstable from the
sources again, or you could setup apt's pinning to favour lenny and then
leave unstable there for selective installs.

--
Len Sorensen