debian and nvidia drivers

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 6 03:01:19 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 12:00:08PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> > Just got Debian Lenny up and runnning last night, having a few headaches
> > mainly because I'm just not used to it.
> >
> > 1st off, I _did_ see Lennart's howto on installing the NVidia drivers the
> > 'debian way', and I understand the reasoning for using that method, however
> > I would like to, if possible, use the latest drivers available from
> > NVidia.
>
> You really really really don't want to use the nvidia installer.  We do
> package up the latest stable release from nvidia rather quickly.
>
> > I am at the point now where I've got the appropriate headers for my kernel
> > installed, but when I run the NVidia installer I get a message that the GCC
> > used to compile my kernel is not the same as the currently installed kernel,
> > and that the 2.6 kernel will reject modules built with a GCC that doesn't
> > match.
> >
> > Anyone else ran into this and/or have any sol'ns for this?
>
> Use the debian method, it does the right thing.

I got the nvidia drivers working using the installer, though I must say the
performance is not what I experienced before on the same machine.

> Of course the nvidia modules are already compiled for the lenny kernel
> so you just have to install the packages.

Okay, from what I read from the various howtos it looked a lot more
complicated. I'll definitely try the packages then, but...

> Unfortunately they are sitting in sid, not lenny, which is getting really
> frustrating.  Not sure what has to happen to get the darn things moved to
> lenny.

Is that why I did not see them in the software installer? I have non-free
enabled, but didn't see any nvidia packages.