Rogers Mobile Internet Stick working under Linux

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 04:28:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, ted leslie wrote:

> sweet!! you mean if i take the SIM out of my crack-berry (that has a
> data account), and put it in this puppy, i can surf from my linux laptop?

You may not even need to.  Most (all?) of the 3G phones can be used as
modems for a laptop.  Not every provider thinks that is ok, but I believe
Rogers says it is ok.

Finding the right cable to connect their 3G phone to the laptop is left as
an exercise for the reader.

> how much can one of these be had for?

Without a plan they quoted me about $250 for the device itself.  I signed
up for one year and got it for free.

> anything special you have to configure with your account at rogers end?

Not at Rogers end.

There is a Rogers specific PPP config at the laptop end but basing it on
one I found for Movistar in Spain and using some educated guess work I
knotted it out fairly quickly.  Infact the Movistar config turned out to
be a lot closer to Rogers than I had originally expected.  I went and
researched several of the options only to discover they were identical to
the Movistar example I had :)

> can one just get a "Novatel MC950D" if its just rogers putting a sicker
> on it?

It may well work but I'm not sure if Rogers would endorse a move like
that (assuming they could detect it).

> post what type of data rates your getting with it,
> dammit i want one now! :)

I haven't measured it but when it is set on UMTS the speed is pretty good.

I used it on the GO Bus from Meadowvale to Toronto Union this morning and
had UMTS and good speed all the way.  I used it on the GO Train this
afternoon and had EDGE in Union station (slow) but it synced to UMTS as
soon as I left the station (fast).

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy