Rogers Mobile Internet Stick working under Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 14:19:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:28:42PM -0500, Robert Brockway wrote:
> You may not even need to.  Most (all?) of the 3G phones can be used as
> modems for a laptop.  Not every provider thinks that is ok, but I believe
> Rogers says it is ok.

Just be prepared to pay dearly for the data transfers if you do.  I
don't think it counts as regular air time unfortunately, unless they
somehow still support 9600bps dial up on them.  Most providers are
stopping support for that.

> Finding the right cable to connect their 3G phone to the laptop is left as
> an exercise for the reader.

Well my nokia from rogers came with a usb cable in the box.

> Without a plan they quoted me about $250 for the device itself.  I signed
> up for one year and got it for free.
>
> Not at Rogers end.
>
> There is a Rogers specific PPP config at the laptop end but basing it on
> one I found for Movistar in Spain and using some educated guess work I
> knotted it out fairly quickly.  Infact the Movistar config turned out to
> be a lot closer to Rogers than I had originally expected.  I went and
> researched several of the options only to discover they were identical to
> the Movistar example I had :)

Nifty.

> It may well work but I'm not sure if Rogers would endorse a move like
> that (assuming they could detect it).

As long as you have a plan and pay your bill, I am not sure rogers cares
very much what device you have.  After all they have probably the worlds
most expensive data plans.

--
Len Sorensen