Chosing cheap desktop: recommendation?

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 23:19:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> - Serenity T1150, AMD Sempron LE-1150 2GHz, nVidia nForce 630a / GeForce
> 7050 chipset.
> - Serenity T1100, AMD Athlon 64 3200+, apparently some Via chipset (S3
> UniChrome Graphics).
> - Shuttle K45PC, Intel Celeron Dual-Core E1200, Intel 945GC / ICH7 chipset.
> - Serenity T1080, Intel Celeron Dual-Core E1200. Intel 945GC / ICH7 Chipset.
> (from
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=cpl&id=170.45&sort=3)

Just an update (and caveat): I ended up with Serenity T1080.
However there are several issue:

  - Canada Computer information page is not accurate: instead of
Intel 945GC, it actually has Biostar G31-M7 TE with Intel G31
chipset, which apparently newer.

  - Regardless, I failed to noticed that ICH7 chipset is not
all-in chipset; specifically, it does not include ethernet
controller. So it happened that Biostar G31-M7 TE come with
Realtek RTL8102EL ethernet controller, for which kernel support
is limited, if any, and definitely not in Fedora 9 kernel let
alone CentOS.

I tried to exchange the system but Canada Computer people don't
think it is their fault. I have no time to argue too much so I
just drop in additional network card, which works so far.

Yeah, in restrospect I should get some old systems from Factory
Direct instead. :-]

--
                              (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo