Chosing cheap desktop: recommendation?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 14:00:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 06:19:14PM -0500, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
> Just an update (and caveat): I ended up with Serenity T1080.
> However there are several issue:
>
>  - Canada Computer information page is not accurate: instead of
> Intel 945GC, it actually has Biostar G31-M7 TE with Intel G31
> chipset, which apparently newer.
>
>  - Regardless, I failed to noticed that ICH7 chipset is not
> all-in chipset; specifically, it does not include ethernet
> controller. So it happened that Biostar G31-M7 TE come with
> Realtek RTL8102EL ethernet controller, for which kernel support
> is limited, if any, and definitely not in Fedora 9 kernel let
> alone CentOS.
>
> I tried to exchange the system but Canada Computer people don't
> think it is their fault. I have no time to argue too much so I
> just drop in additional network card, which works so far.
>
> Yeah, in restrospect I should get some old systems from Factory
> Direct instead. :-]

Wellt he specs listed for the T1080 sure aren't very complete.  It
doesn't list any actual parts, just vaguely what specs they have.

I will stick with build my own, so I know what I am getting. :)

I think the RTL8102 is somewhat supported in recent kernels, but I have
no idea since I have never dealt with one.

--
Len Sorensen