Recommend a Linux-compatible Laser printer

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 14:39:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 08:43:23PM -0500, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> This one's postscript:
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3575358&Sku=O11-B2400%20CA&SRCCODE=CANEM1287&cm_mmc=Email-_-CanadaMain-_-CANEM1287-_-shipping
>
> It's an Okidata. We used to have one at my former employer which was a
> real tank, but it was also really old so I really can't make much of a
> statement as to the quality of more recent models.
>
> As a postscript printer it should work well enough with Linux. The
> output is only 200x600dpi as well, but it's probably good for text if
> that's what you're after.

The specs clearly state that it is PCL5 and PCL6, but certainly isn't
postscript.  If it was they would mention it in the datasheet, which
they do not.

Oh and it is 1200x600dpi, which is perfectly normal for a laser printer.
They pretty much can't get any higher (LED printers could go a bit
higher, but a laser really can't).

--
Len Sorensen