Lightning and gdata-provider in Ubuntu (was ": Evolution issue")

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 18 15:41:51 UTC 2008

Marc Lanctot wrote:
> William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:03:18PM -0600, Marc Lanctot wrote:
>>
>>> Does anybody know of a site that provides a "writable remote ICS"
>>> link/file? Lightning is nice, and I love it, but I'm using Google
>>> calendar and would be nice if I could add stuff to my calendar from
>>> within Lightning (or Sunbird) rather than having to do it from
>>> Google's  web interface.
>>
>> You can view/update your Google calendar via Lightning.  Google for
>> instructions.  It involves obtaining the live ICS link and subscribing
>> to it from Lightning.
>
> Has anybody got write access working on their Google calendar through
> lightning?
>
> I'm using Ubuntu.. I installed the lightning-extension package using apt
> -- the only way to get lightning to work at all in Ubuntu -- but then I
> don't see an Ubuntu package for the gdata-provider extension. So I
> download gdata-provider-0.4.xpi from the Mozilla 2.0 download page for
> Linux, and add it on as usual. When I restart, I try File -> New ->
> Calendar -> Network.. there is no "Google Calendar" which is supposed to
> be there from screenshots I've seen. And, when I list the add-ons, the
> gdata-provider says I'm "missing additional items" despite the fact that
> I installed these packages: libgdata-google1.2-1,
> libgdata-google1.2-dev, libgdata1.2-1, libgdata1.2-dev .
>
> Anybody experience similar problems with gdata-provider + lightning in
> Ubuntu?

I know this is an ancient topic, but just for everyone to know and
benefit from, I finally got this working. I'm using the Ubuntu-packaged
Thunderbird.

I upgraded to Ubuntu Intrepid 2 weeks ago. I used apt-get install
lightning-extension and then added on the newest Google Calendar
Provider [1] by installing it manually. In add-ons I saw a "Requires
additional items".

I followed the advice here:

http://groups.google.com/group/provider-for-google-calendar/browse_thread/thread/64f225ae2af93426?pli=1

with no luck (but did install libstc++5).

So then I uninstalled both (Google provider from within Thunderbird and
apt-get remove lightning-extension). Got and installed Lightning 0.9
manually [2] and then installed the newest Google Provider manually, and
finally after a year of wanting to do this I finally can!

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4631
[2] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313

Marc

--
Fighting patents one by one will never eliminate the danger of software
patents any more than swatting mosquitoes will eliminate malaria.