ubuntu / I-INC

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 18 14:42:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 08:28:49PM -0500, Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
> Looks like I don't have to do that. Though it's not rocket science, I
> have never had much luck editing that file. I guess I'll just make sure
> that whenever I boot to linux that I am KVM-switched to that computer as
> well. I do understand (Correctly, I hope) that if I wanted to boot to a
> given resolution every time (regardless of where the KVM switch's
> attention is) I would have to edit that file.
>
> Is that a limitation of LCD monitors? I could certainly get better
> refresh rates out of my CRT monitors.

Some LCDs run 75hz, but since there is no flicker issue on an LCD, there
is no real need for higher refresh rates than 60hz.  Higher refresh
rates take more bandwidth too, which is why 59 or 60hz is what is
normally used.  The maximum amount of pixels you can send through a
single link DVI connection is 1920x1200 at 60hz.  It can't do it at 75hz,
there simply isn't enough bandwidth.  Dual link can do twic that, so
hence 2560x1600 at 60hz on large displays, although some high resolution
displays do 3840x2400 at 24hz on dual link (48hz on quad link).

--
Len Sorensen