ubuntu / I-INC

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 14 01:28:49 UTC 2008

John McGregor wrote:
> Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> Linux, however, is only offering 800 X 600 and 640 X 480 at a
>> pathetic 60 or 56 Hz. How can I correct this?
>
> You will have to edit your X.org conf file and add "1600X1200" as the
> first resolution for all instances in the Screen section of your file.

Looks like I don't have to do that. Though it's not rocket science, I
have never had much luck editing that file. I guess I'll just make sure
that whenever I boot to linux that I am KVM-switched to that computer as
well. I do understand (Correctly, I hope) that if I wanted to boot to a
given resolution every time (regardless of where the KVM switch's
attention is) I would have to edit that file.

> As an example here is mine where I had to add the 1440X900 resoultion.
> Also note that the refresh rate for LCD monitors is 60Hz.

Is that a limitation of LCD monitors? I could certainly get better
refresh rates out of my CRT monitors.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

<snip>