ubuntu sound to hi-fi amplifier

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 16 17:27:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am very happy with my main sound system having Ubuntu on a PS3 as source.
>
> Now I would like to hook up my office Ubuntu computer to my amplifier in my
> office hi-fi system. The computer is a typical Intel based system. I am
> currently using the sound chip on the mother board with analogue output to
> computer speakers.
>
> I would prefer a digital optical sound feed.
>
> Has anyone done this?
>
> Would I need a sound card? I am really just wanting to read the binary music
> file and send it in binary form to the receiver.
>
> My Google search results in many hits about peoples problems with sound
> cards in general.
>
> I will keep digging, but if anyone has done this, I would like to hear about
> it.

I can't speak to an optical feed, but at home I often connect my PC to
the home stereo through the PC speakers headphone jack using a 3.5mm
To Dual RCA (... a "Y") cable similar to the one shown at:

  http://www.shoptronics.com/sthe3pltodur.html

It should support any standard audio output from a PC.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/