ubuntu sound to hi-fi amplifier

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 16 15:31:02 UTC 2008

I am very happy with my main sound system having Ubuntu on a PS3 as source.

Now I would like to hook up my office Ubuntu computer to my amplifier in
my office hi-fi system. The computer is a typical Intel based system. I
am currently using the sound chip on the mother board with analogue
output to computer speakers.

I would prefer a digital optical sound feed.

Has anyone done this?

Would I need a sound card? I am really just wanting to read the binary
music file and send it in binary form to the receiver.

My Google search results in many hits about peoples problems with sound
cards in general.

I will keep digging, but if anyone has done this, I would like to hear
about it.

Thanks
Stephen