LGPL Version Exclusivity (Was: Releasing software under both LGPL 2.1 & 3 - A good idea?)

colin davidson colinpdavidson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 20:49:23 UTC 2008

I doubt very much that the EFF/GNU people are telling you that the copyright
holder cannot relicense a product. Commercial developers do this all the
time (Qt is available under the GPL, but if you don't want to be forced to
publish your code, you can purchase a closed license from Trolltech instead,
for example).

The problem with releasing under both LGPL v2.1 and v3 is that although most
OSS developers would respect that and release any patches under both, there
is absolutely nothing legal constrining them to do so. They would be
compliant so long as they publish under either one of them. Thus there is no
way for you to dual license a product and ensure that any patches will be
mutually compatible. If this is an issue, choose one and stick with it. If
not, do whatever you feel like. *

Cheers, Colin

*Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this should not be contrued as legal
advice.