Watching Rogers Digital TV on Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 19:01:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 10:19:04AM -0800, Stephen wrote:
> I currently have one digital decoder in the living room where I watch HDTV on the digital channels.
>
> Is there a tuner card that works under Linux that can handle Rogers' digital feed?
>
> And can it be a USB card so it will work with my PS3 running Ubuntu?

Nope.  Rogers digital is all encrypted.  Nothing you can do.  Well you
could lobby the CRTC to be more like the FCC and mandate that all local
over the air channels be transmitted unencrypted on digital cable, but
the CRTC doesn't really seem to care at all about consumers in Canada.

All you can really do is feed the video output of the box into the video
input of a tuner card and use a IRblaster to change channels on the
decoder box, and well it isn't really digital at that point anymore.

--
Len Sorensen