Google Earth crashing X.org

Mike Oliver moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 7 08:17:20 UTC 2008

Quoting Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>:

> Sounds like video driver crashed.
>
> gdm on Debian at least will stop and ask for help after 5 X server
> failures in less than a certain amount of time.  Does ubuntu not have
> that?

Dunno; I use KDE.  But if, as you say below, there's nothing
to be done once the driver crashes, how would it help?

>> So two questions: (1) Anyone know how to fix this, and
>> probably more important (2) How do I tell X.org to
>> GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY and let me have a text
>> login prompt?
>
> If the video driver crashed, then there is nothing left to restore the
> text mode, so you can't.
>
> Which lovely video card and driver is doing this to you?

It appears to be something called

  Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics
  Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

I guess that's the hardware -- not sure how to find out about
the driver.