[OT] Two Computers, One Set of Speakers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 28 13:28:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:33:21PM -0400, Stephen wrote:
> I have been using my Linux box as a LAMP server, but have been trying
> out some desktop apps.
>
> I have a nice set of speakers connected to the Windows box.
>
> Is there some kind of cable that would allow both computers to connect
> to the speakers?

A small switch box should do it.  You can get video switches with 4
inputs for about $30 many places, and no reason you couldn't use it just
to switch audio (connect computers to left/right RCA jacks, then connect
speakers to the output RCA jacks).

Connecting them both together electrically is going to make the signal
messed up and be potentially bad for the sound cards in both machines.
For that you need to get a mixer.

Or you could be "clever" and hook the line out of one to the line in of
the other computer and use the mixer to set the volume level nicely and
then both work.  Essentially make one computer be that mixer.

--
Len Sorensen