Spam frustration

E K ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 26 16:01:07 UTC 2008

--- Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> E K wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have dspam on the server, which I set up painstakingly (in part
> due
> > to the virtual mail boxes setup) on my email server. I am using
> Kmail
> > as an email client now and I setup bogofilter using the wizard in
> > Kmail.
> >
> > I have seen claims about dspam and bogofilter being more than 99%
> > accurate which is very much at odd with my experience. In my
> case,
> > the combined filtering has less than 30% accuracy.
> >
> > Does any one has similar experience? What could have I done wrong
> > have such a low accuracy in both?
> >
> > EK
>
> I normally *detest* when people respond saying I don't know about
> your
> setup, but my setup X works great!
>
> So please feel free to tell me to bugger off. :)
>
> That said, I've gone through a couple mail systems in my time, and
> the
> spam component was getting just terrible. I mean, ready to abandon
> entire domains. Spamassasin, Amavis etc just didn't work for me.
> Then I
> started with postgrey, and oh wow... virtually no spam at all.
>
> Postgrey requires postfix, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't an
> equivalent for other MTAs. All it does is, when it sees a new
> address,
> it sends back a temporary failure message to the sending MTA
> telling it
> to try again in five minutes. Given that the vast majority of
> spammers
> ignore all returned messages, the spam never gets sent again.
> Meanwhile,
> real MTAs happily acknowledge the error, wait and send the message
> again
> successfully.
>
> It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
>
> Huge success.
>
> Madi

I even tried address verification, which should be stronger than
graylisting because it attempts to verify the validity of the sender
address before accepting email.... and at the same time reject valid
emails which come from servers whose setup does not permit address
verification. However, while spam was reduced by about 50% it is
still far from satisfactory for my collegues who deal with about 100
spam per day.

EK