Spam frustration

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 22 16:33:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:00:54AM -0400, E K wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have dspam on the server, which I set up painstakingly (in part due
> to the virtual mail boxes setup) on my email server. I am using Kmail
> as an email client now and I setup bogofilter using the wizard in
> Kmail.
>
> I have seen claims about dspam and bogofilter being more than 99%
> accurate which is very much at odd with my experience. In my case,
> the combined filtering has less than 30% accuracy.
>
> Does any one has similar experience? What could have I done wrong to
> have such a low accuracy in both?

bogofilter does NOTHING if you don't train it.

In my case I ran it through all my mail boxes of good mail as well as a
folder of about 20000 known spam messages.

On top of that whenever it gets a message wrong, I tell it that it got
it wrong and that it was really spam, and if I ever see something in the
spam folder that isn't I tell it that it got that wrong.

In my case I have 'd' defined in mutt to mean (classify as not spam, and
delete) and 'escape d' as to mean (classify as spam and delete).  I use
ctrl-d to delete stuff without doing either.  Works great for me.  The
training data was very important to give it though.

--
Len Sorensen