I know it's off topic, but...

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 22 22:56:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 6:47 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Mel Wilson wrote:

>>> If they ever actually show it in a working state, then I will believe
>>> it.  Until then, it's just a distraction.  Nothing more.
>>
>> I rather think it's their only hope.  According to latest two articles in
>> the blog "An Antic Disposition" <http://www.robweir.com/blog/> even OOXML
>> can't be shown in a working state.
>>

> I suspect, or at least hope, that with that and:
> 1) EU pressure
> 2) Outrage over OOXML & ISO
> 3) Customer pressure
> they've realized the time has come to properly support ODF.

I would not be so optimistic.

As Lennart noticed, they will use every opportunity to mess up with a
standard. ODF is a relatively new standard and, as such, certainly has
logical flows embeded there. Any problem with ODF they will likely use
for their own advantage.

While OOXML possibly has been created just for reverting attention
from ODF project. Possible? Yes. If to believe in various opinions
about its complexity, it is likely that they do not know themself yet
how to implement it.

zb.