Spam frustration

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 22 15:28:48 UTC 2008

E K wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have dspam on the server, which I set up painstakingly (in part due
> to the virtual mail boxes setup) on my email server. I am using Kmail
> as an email client now and I setup bogofilter using the wizard in
> Kmail.
>
> I have seen claims about dspam and bogofilter being more than 99%
> accurate which is very much at odd with my experience. In my case,
> the combined filtering has less than 30% accuracy.
>
> Does any one has similar experience? What could have I done wrong to
> have such a low accuracy in both?
>
> EK

I normally *detest* when people respond saying I don't know about your
setup, but my setup X works great!

So please feel free to tell me to bugger off. :)

That said, I've gone through a couple mail systems in my time, and the
spam component was getting just terrible. I mean, ready to abandon
entire domains. Spamassasin, Amavis etc just didn't work for me. Then I
started with postgrey, and oh wow... virtually no spam at all.

Postgrey requires postfix, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't an
equivalent for other MTAs. All it does is, when it sees a new address,
it sends back a temporary failure message to the sending MTA telling it
to try again in five minutes. Given that the vast majority of spammers
ignore all returned messages, the spam never gets sent again. Meanwhile,
real MTAs happily acknowledge the error, wait and send the message again
successfully.

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Huge success.

Madi