Ubuntu 8.04 - all drives now SCSI

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 12 13:33:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 09:26:33AM -0400, Moniz Family wrote:
> I meant UUID is less simple. I suppose sda, sdb is also less simple when
> you actually have hda, hdb.

But UUIDs are actually the simplest in use since you simply say 'I want
this to be the disk that matches this description, no matter where it is
connected or what it is named'.  It makes things simpler.

One of my machines has 3 ide controllers, and every boot they would be
assigned in random order so my disks were never the same names each
time.  So much for /dev/hda,b,c etc being simple.  It was a nightmare.
Switching to UUIDs made things just work, and I no longer care what
names they have, be it /dev/hda or /dev/sda as long as they all show up.

Using UUIDs simply means doing it the same way Windows does.

--
Len Sorensen