Ubuntu 8.04 - all drives now SCSI

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 11 16:14:10 UTC 2008

On Saturday 10 May 2008 19:12:31 Moniz Family wrote:

> If I boot with the Ubuntu 7.10 live disk, the drives are IDE. Also, grub
> lists three kernels to boot from. The oldest (2.6.22-14 generic) still
> boots with IDE drives. The two newest kernels on the gub list (2.6.24-16
> & 2.6.24-17 generic) both boot with SCSI drives.

IDE disks now share sata drivers (libata I think it may be called).

> Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'd like to fix it as I've
> invested too much time to this stage of the install, but if I can't fix
> it, the next step will involve either Mandriva or FC.

If this is a brand new install then I'm very surprised that it's causing
problems.  On an upgrade I could see that some programs would have
configurations pointing to old IDE devices but for a fresh install I would
have hoped for better.

I also had a problem on my upgrade related to the IDE->SCSI change.  All of my
disks are software RAID consisting of one SATA and one IDE disk.  My computer
is in sad shape - my SATA interface fails most of the time - so my RAID is
one-legged consisting of IDE only.  On upgrade my only consistently working
disk (hda) changes to sda (or maybe sdb, haven't looked closely) so the RAID
code gets very confused - it cannot find hda or the redundant (usually
invisible and not up to date ) sda.   I haven't had time to sit and see how
to resolve this so I continue to boot into 2.6.22 kernel which boots my
broken RAID just fine  Might try to tackle this today ...

I'm thinking on future installs I'll use LVM mirroring instead of md
devices ... that won't solve my current problem of course.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada