Ubuntu 8.04 - all drives now SCSI

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 11 17:19:53 UTC 2008

Craig Routledge wrote:
> On 2008-05-10 22:19, John Moniz wrote:
>
>> Thanks Scott. When I use newer kernel, which gives me the /dev/sd*
>> naming, I have problems with the video players finding DVD's. They seem
>> to be looking for devices that don't exist. With the older kernel, which
>> gives me the /dev/hdx naming, the problems are not there. Maybe
>> everything *should* be OK with a whole lot of fiddling, but clearly it's
>> causing me problems.
>>

> Hopefully you can find the setting somewhere in the video player's GUI.
> Failing that, you could always use brute force.
>
> Say your DVD drive used to be /dev/hdc.  Then,
>
>   grep -r '/dev/hdc' *
>
> in your home directory may take awhile but should turn up something.
>

>> Is this just a Ubuntu thing?
>>

> Nope.  It's a kernel thing.  And it's a permanent change, so I'm afraid
> you'll have to make the transition sometime.
>
> If you are going to switch back and forth between the kernels, you really
> should start identifying partitions by label or uuid.
Craig, that was a very helpful link from Fedora (I miss Anaconda),
thanks. It cleared up a few things. When you're just a home user like
me, you are only as up-to-date as your newest installed distro.

/etc/fstab is set up with UUID's, but none of the partitions have labels
- still have to figure out how to do that one.

I have now googled for a method to find the UUID of a partition, so I'm
OK to add a new hard drive. I guess now we replace the a b c method of
identifying drives with UUID=7dbe1d83-a2e8-4289-8c2b-a4ace8fbd608.
That's bound to be a lot of fun...

The hard drives are not so bad, I could even put a comment before each
partition in fstab as to what hdx or sdx partition the UUID is referring
to, if I want the security blanket of the old names. But I don't have
the CD/DVD-ROM's all figured out yet. But I'm chipping away at it.

These changes require more skill and knowledge than before - does not
benefit the average user like me.