Ubuntu 8.04 - all drives now SCSI

Craig Routledge lists-MKqfGmd6cJs0gtvRndBQZNBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Sun May 11 02:53:22 UTC 2008

On 2008-05-10 22:19, John Moniz wrote:
> Thanks Scott. When I use newer kernel, which gives me the /dev/sd*
> naming, I have problems with the video players finding DVD's. They seem
> to be looking for devices that don't exist. With the older kernel, which
> gives me the /dev/hdx naming, the problems are not there. Maybe
> everything *should* be OK with a whole lot of fiddling, but clearly it's
> causing me problems.

Hopefully you can find the setting somewhere in the video player's GUI.
Failing that, you could always use brute force.

Say your DVD drive used to be /dev/hdc.  Then,

  grep -r '/dev/hdc' *

in your home directory may take awhile but should turn up something.

> Is this just a Ubuntu thing?

Nope.  It's a kernel thing.  And it's a permanent change, so I'm afraid
you'll have to make the transition sometime.

If you are going to switch back and forth between the kernels, you really
should start identifying partitions by label or uuid.