Debian server vs. Ubuntu server

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu May 8 16:03:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:48:11AM -0400, Richard Dice wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm planning on setting up a server at home mostly for personal
> experimentation purposes.  (I will just buy commodity parts myself from
> College Street shops and build something in an ATX form factor.)  It has
> been a while (3+ years) since I've done much sysadmin or Linux work but at
> that point in time what I found to be most enjoyable and powerful for myself
> was Debian.  Ubuntu obviously has gained a greal deal of attention over the
> past few years as a user desktop, but what about as a server?  I plan on
> setting up software RAID overlying LVM and encrypted partitions.  Would
> trying to set this up with Ubuntu drive me crazy?  My general experience
> with distros that try to make things easy -- installation and setup for
> instance -- is that they make doing complex things (e.g. simultaneous LVM +
> RAID + encrypted partitions) impossible.  Whereas I'm confident I would be
> able to set this up with Debian in its install without great difficulty.

Well I know Debian can do it.  Why I would install Ubuntu I have no idea
given Debian works great, and so far Ubuntu doesn't always seem to
upgrade quite as well.  I think Ubuntu still needs some experience in
doing upgrades reliably.

> I plan also on running CentOS on the machine in a VM.  There seem to be
> several VM options available lately.  Any reason to prefer one VM or another
> given this kind of setup?

kvm (with kqemu user space tool) looks quite promising and apparently
has the best performance (beating out even vmware).

--
Len Sorensen