Debian server vs. Ubuntu server

Richard Dice rdice-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 8 15:48:11 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on setting up a server at home mostly for personal
experimentation purposes.  (I will just buy commodity parts myself from
College Street shops and build something in an ATX form factor.)  It has
been a while (3+ years) since I've done much sysadmin or Linux work but at
that point in time what I found to be most enjoyable and powerful for myself
was Debian.  Ubuntu obviously has gained a greal deal of attention over the
past few years as a user desktop, but what about as a server?  I plan on
setting up software RAID overlying LVM and encrypted partitions.  Would
trying to set this up with Ubuntu drive me crazy?  My general experience
with distros that try to make things easy -- installation and setup for
instance -- is that they make doing complex things (e.g. simultaneous LVM +
RAID + encrypted partitions) impossible.  Whereas I'm confident I would be
able to set this up with Debian in its install without great difficulty.

I plan also on running CentOS on the machine in a VM.  There seem to be
several VM options available lately.  Any reason to prefer one VM or another
given this kind of setup?

Thanks,
 - Richard