DNS oddity

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 5 05:23:11 UTC 2008

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I check www.infonec.ca for deals every once in a while. [...]
> How is it that Network Solutions can take over a domain like this?  If
> the domain had not expired, surely they would not have hijacked it.
> If it had expired, how can they legitimately take it over like this?
> If it is renewed, how can they ethically have a name server continue
> to hijack it?

As some of you might know, I'm involved as part of the ICANN At-Large
advisory process. I asked about this amongst my colleagues there and got
this answer to Hugh's query:

"It's clear that what happened is that www.infonec.ca is set up as an
alias for www.infonec.com, and they forgot to renew the .com so NSI
pointed it at their expired domain servers until he paid.  All the
registrars I know would do the same thing. The 'suspicious' stuff re
authority sections is perfectly normal since the DNS server for
infonec.ca is also the server for infonec.com."

HTH,

- Evan