Of Linus, KDE, and mouse buttons

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 29 19:43:51 UTC 2008

JoeHill wrote:
>>> That one desktop environment should just give him everything he wants.
>>> Great, but unfortunately then you end up with...KDE, the most ridiculous
>>> and bloated crap imagineable.
>> Such superlatives -- especially launched at a system many people appear
>> to have had far less problem mastering -- don't help make a case. I for
>> one can certainly imagine -- and have even used -- software far more
>> bloated and less ridiculous.
>
> Not a question of mastering anything, a question of using without getting
> frustrated. You actually kinda sound like the Gnome developers who are
> criticized for 'blaming the user'. If there's something that KDE or Gnome just
> can't or won't do, there's no way to 'master' doing it, is there?

Between a shell and KDE, I cannot think of things that I need to do that
I cannot.

>>> Using the KDE file selection dialogue is less fun than stepping on a nail.
>>> Last time I checked, they still had not figured out the concept of 'drag
>>> and drop'.
>> Works for me. YMMV, I guess.
>
> I suppose it might only work if you have the full K desktop installed, which I
> don't. Any K apps I've tried to use, like Amarok and Qdvdauthor, do not seem
> to understand drag and drop at all, and navigating the file chooser dialogue
> is just a headache. It doesn't even respond to the mousewheel.

Drag/drop works fine for me too and yes, I have a full KDE desktop
installed. To blame KDE for supposedly lacking functionality without
installing the KDE desktop is just plain silly. I just don't see what is
so difficult about navigating get/put file dialogs in KDE. If anything,
it is better than the alternatives I have tried because it is inherently
network-aware. With KDE, I can put/get files to/from remote servers
using a number of protocols.

>>> There is a very good reason why most applications are developed using GTK,

News to me. I see plenty of applications built using other frameworks too.

>>> and now more and more PyGTK. The same reason that the best desktop
>>> environment there is, XFCE4,

Best for you, not for me or millions of others who use KDE or Gnome or
other desktops. I have detailed here before how Xfce is not as
"lightweight" as people claim it is. I have used it and find nothing
attractive or compelling about it but if you like it, more power to you.
I like the Qt framework and I really like how I can extend KDE
applications using Kparts. This is what OpenDoc was supposed to be. I
started with PyGTK before PyQt and the main reason I made the switch was
due to the immaturity of the framework and poor documentation.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation