restore Evolution after OS install

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 28 20:58:09 UTC 2008

Ivan Avery Frey wrote:

>>> It's all in $HOME/.evolution
>> Okay, I backed up that directory. I did a fresh ubuntu install and
>> now I'm having trouble restoring from that directory. What file in
>> that directory do I point Evolution to? Or is that not how it works?
>
> When you backed up the directory did you do a cp -r?
Well, I used scp -r /home./evolution /anothercomputer
> To restore the directory cp -r backuppathname ~yourusername/.evolution
Okay, I just did that, but when I run Evolution it asks me where the
'evolution archive' is. I don't have any 'evolution archive' - I just
have the entire .evolution directory and its contents. Then I point to
that but it's not satisfied - it wants me to point to a specific file
and I try different files (especially ones ending in .db) but nothing
brings back the mail, calendar info et al.

I inferred from the original responder to this thread that you have to
back up the entire .evolution directory and its contents. I guess that
was an erroneous assumption. I guess I should have backed it up in a
certain way (to make an 'evolution archive') to be able to restore it
later. I use thunderbird myself so that back up is easier - you simply
save the directory and them point to that directory when configuring
(the new installation of) thunderbird. I guess Evolution is trickier (?)

Chris