restore Evolution after OS install

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 28 21:25:14 UTC 2008

Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
>> To restore the directory cp -r backuppathname ~yourusername/.evolution
> Okay, I just did that, but when I run Evolution it asks me where the
> 'evolution archive' is. I don't have any 'evolution archive' - I just
> have the entire .evolution directory and its contents. Then I point to
> that but it's not satisfied - it wants me to point to a specific file
> and I try different files (especially ones ending in .db) but nothing
> brings back the mail, calendar info et al.
>
> I inferred from the original responder to this thread that you have to
> back up the entire .evolution directory and its contents. I guess that
> was an erroneous assumption. I guess I should have backed it up in a
> certain way (to make an 'evolution archive') to be able to restore it
> later. I use thunderbird myself so that back up is easier - you simply
> save the directory and them point to that directory when configuring
> (the new installation of) thunderbird. I guess Evolution is trickier (?)

I don't really have any suggestions for you, but maybe this will point
you in a fruitful direction.

I'm not sure about modern versions, but several years ago when I last
used Evolution I recall that there was some information it needed that
got stored in ~/.gnome2 or something like that, it wasn't all in
~/.evolution.

Regards,
Marcus