Creating a mount point for Windows shares with Mandriva 2008

Clive DaSilva cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 27 16:19:06 UTC 2008

The problem is in trying to create a mountpoint on the nix box to access
WinXP shares. That way I can attach resumes, etc stored in My Documents
on the WinXP box to my emails on the nix box. This problem has been
reported my more than a few people. Apparently its a Perl problem within
Drakconf and the guys who fix bugs with Mandriva are working on it right
now. In case any of you are interested its listed as Bug #34505 at
qa.mandrivalinux.com.

Thanks for your comments

Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Just a little confused here.
> Is this a mountpoint on your 'nix box to mount shares from an XP box
> (windows share mounted on 'nix)
> Or a samba mountpoint to mount on the XP box (samba share mounted on XP)?
>
> Looks like it's the first one, but I'm just checking. In that case,
> how about if you mount+browser manually from console (mount -t smbs)
> or via something like sm4k?
>

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Clive DaSilva <cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>>  I ran into a weird problem when I upgraded my Linux box from Mandriva
>>  2007 to 2008. Using Mandriva Control Centre, I tried to create a mount
>>  point on the Linux box for my Windows XP shares (worked fine in Mandriva
>>  2007) to that I can attach documents to my email postings on the Linux
>>  box. The procedure keeps failing when I try to create the link in MCC. I
>>  know that Samba is running properly as I can access the shares via
>>  Konqueror with smb:\\whatever the name is\my documents.
>>  The bugzilla reporting window came up, and I reported this as a bug as
>>  apparently the Diskdrake program crashed.
>>
>>  Have any of you Mandriva users out there had this problem?
>>
>>  --
>>  Clive DaSilva CMA
>>  Tel:  416-421-2480
>>  Cell: 416-560-8820
>>
>>  --
>>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Clive DaSilva CMA
Tel:  416-421-2480
Cell: 416-560-8820