External VGA support on my laptop

jing gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 27 15:11:24 UTC 2008

Hi John,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:18 PM, John Fruhwirth <johnfruh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> johnfruh at eMachine:~$ aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
>  Uninitialised file found, configuring.
> Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-1
> aticonfig: Writing to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' failed. Bad file descriptor.
>
> Huh? What does Bad file descriptor mean with respect to xorg.conf?  How can
> xorg.conf have a Bad file descriptor?
> So, again, I'm stumped.  What do I do now?

>From your cut&paste, it appears that you were not root when attempting
to run the aticonfig utility.  The fact that it claims it was able to
do the backup may or may not be true.  It's possible the script or
program was sloppy with its error checking.

>From a console, try becoming root first, list the contents of
/etc/X11/ and then re-run the aticonfig.
from terminal:
  su -
  ls -l /etc/X11
  aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

cut & paste the output to the list if it still doesn't work.