The next big social networking tool is... Thunderbird?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 24 16:44:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Phillip Mills <phillip.mills1-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> ----- Message from evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org ---------
>

>  > Interesting take... from The Economist, no less.
>
>  Definitely interesting.  I've been seeing a lot of related discussion
>  on LiveJournal where changes of ownership have been upsetting the
>  assumptions of people (content providers) about their relationship to
>  those who want to make money from social networking.
>
>  It seems like it would be a good time to start from zero and define
>  features people actually want...then see how to get there.  Some of the
>  initiatives I've heard about feature:
>  1) User control of their own content.

A Thunderbird mailbox qualifies as such...

>  2) A non-fragile scheme for making connections to other people

... But that doesn't fit with a Thunderbird mailbox ... :-(

*THAT* portion of the problem wants to have some outside server that
shares information fairly promiscuously to detect similarities.  In
the Facebook/MySpace context, the relevant similarities would be "so
and so also attended school X during period Y"; for LinkedIn, do
s/attended school/worked for organization/g

>  Much or all of this may already be available, but having an easy and
>  common interface to it would be a big step.  Whether that happens in
>  Thunderbird or as a super-RSS Firefox plugin, I don't know.

Part of this problem *isn't* local to your computer.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling