The next big social networking tool is... Thunderbird?

Phillip Mills phillip.mills1-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 24 16:01:48 UTC 2008

----- Message from evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org ---------

> Interesting take... from The Economist, no less.

Definitely interesting.  I've been seeing a lot of related discussion
on LiveJournal where changes of ownership have been upsetting the
assumptions of people (content providers) about their relationship to
those who want to make money from social networking.

It seems like it would be a good time to start from zero and define
features people actually want...then see how to get there.  Some of the
initiatives I've heard about feature:
1) User control of their own content.
2) A non-fragile scheme for making connections to other people
3) An organization/categorization/publication method
4) Utility features such as indexing, a common API....

Much or all of this may already be available, but having an easy and
common interface to it would be a big step.  Whether that happens in
Thunderbird or as a super-RSS Firefox plugin, I don't know.