Wireless (non-Bluetooth) mouse support

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 19 18:49:25 UTC 2008

--- asdf <fia_wrc_fanatic-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I read somewhere (on the Logitech site?) that under
> Windows the Logitech software is
> required to make the mouse work, so I just assumed
> that perhaps under Linux they
> might not be supported because of the USB RF
> transceiver.

While I can not speak about the Logitech wireless
mice, I can note my (good) experiences with Microsoft
wireless mice. With the distributions I have tried the
mouse radio receiver have instantly been seen as
regular USB scroll mice.

Some of the Microsoft wireless mice do have some bells
and whistles that my current Linux software does not
take advantage of. For example some of the mice have a
side-to-side scroll wheel, where pushing the scroll
wheel left or right will trip microswitches. The
side-to-side option does not seem to be supported in
any of my current software. As well, some of my mice
send out some sort of battery status information (so
the right software can warn you when it is coming time
to replace the mouse batteries).

I would assume there are some extra Logitech functions
/ options that are not fully supported unless you have
some extra (currently Microsoft OS only) driver
installed.

So, next obvious question, does anyone know of Linux
software to take advantage of the extra functions
available in some Microsoft (and presumably some
Logitech) wireless mice?

> But this comes as a relief to me since all the
> Bluetooth wireless mice I've seen so
> far are very small, and since I have big hands I
> need a full/desktop sized mouse for
> my laptop!

Small observation I do have one of the Microsoft
wireless laptop mice to go with my laptop (smaller
than ideal, but FAR better than the default laptop
touch pad). With the laptop mouse the receiver is tiny
and stores away in a recess in the bottom of the
mouse. With the desktop mice, the mouse is a nice
size, but the receiver is also a lot larger. I would
not want to carry the desktop mouse receiver around if
I didn't have to... I suggest you see just how big the
mouse and receiver combo is before you buy...

Colin McGregor