Linux Printing: Still Awful After All These Years

Gary Layng glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 13 01:41:35 UTC 2008

I agree, I mean you should learn something from your experience.

Back when I started on Linux about four years or so ago, I bought a new
printer.  I plugged the thing in, turned it on, and CUPS said, "Hey, you've
got an HP 1300!! Do you want to make this default, and do you want to print a
test page?"  Yes, and yes.

The best way to learn how something works is when something goes wrong.
Nothing went wrong, so what did I learn?  Nothing!!  I already knew how to
attach the cables between computer and printer.  Heck, I had more problems
setting it up in Windows - needed to use the installation disk.  In Windows,
at least I had the challenge of starting the install shield program when it
didn't want to auto start.

Maybe the problem is the distribution I'm using, Mandriva?  Maybe I should
have selected a Samsung instead of a Hewlett-Packard?

--
there's no place like 127.0.0.1