Linux Printing: Still Awful After All These Years

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 13 01:28:33 UTC 2008

It's my impression that many aspects of the Linux Installation Experience
have become much more pleasant over the years. For example: no more manual
partitioning or formatting! Network recognized instantly! Package
management at the touch of a button! (Almost) No configuring video cards!
No tweaking X-Window!*

The one thing that doesn't seem to have changed is printer installation.
My Suse 9.2 printer installation was a nightmare and Ubuntu 7.1 seems much
the same. (In both cases the Samsung printer had to be spoofed as a
Laserjet to ork.)

So, is printer really difficult or am I missing something? Would someone
like to give a TLUG tutorial evening on the different ways of connecting
and driving printers?

Now please excuse me while I take this giant pile of printer paper,
generated during a printer debugging session, to the recycling.

Peter

* Nice that we don't have to feed 32 floppy disks into the machine any
more, as well. Anyone here remember that?

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto