bookmark management

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 12 16:08:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:38 PM, teddy mills <teddymills-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have been trying to consolidate my bookmarks on my computers in
>  different locations.
>  I have found the Firefox addon called FoxMarks.
>  However I would imagine there are a number of open source bookmark
>  management systems out there.
>
>  Does anyone have recommendations on a opensource bookmark management system?
>
>  btw,
>  After a while I stopped adding bookmarks...since the list on various
>  computers was a mile long
>  then I had the wonderful idea of emailing new urls to my email account
>  then i decided there has to be a better way

The direction I have gone has been the "collaborative scheme,"
specifically using del.icio.us...

Thus, I generally have a widget that will "push" each bookmark out to
this 'web service.'  I can access that list of bookmarks, including
via the makers' tagging scheme, essentially from anywhere.  Anywhere
that I'm commonly browsing from, I set up a little bit of config to
add in the aforementioned "widget."

The "collaborative" side provides at least a little value; if others
have recorded the same URL, a list of commonly used tags is provided
to me, so that I may be able to handle classification more simply.

That isn't a particularly 'open source' answer; it's a service
available gratis from Yahoo!  If OSS truly is important, then you
might look into "markaboo" (<http://markaboo.com/>) which is evidently
similar in functionality, but the software (apparently written using
Ruby on Rails) is available.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling