capturing CBC Radio from an internet stream

Eric Battersby gyre-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 4 16:12:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> | > What do you mean by "history"?
> |
> | I ran the capture for 15s real time, but got 36s of data.
> | If I immediately rerun the capture, the first 20s would be duplicated.
>
> Interesting phenomenon.  Interesting term for this.

I don't know the "term".  I just tried to convey what I found.
BTW, with the WMA capture, and recapture, there seems to be about
half a second of "history" or duplication.

> | > You mean capture the radio all the time?  That seems a bit rude:
> | > wasting CBC's bandwidth for no good reason.  It would waste disk space
> | > too unless I threw it away regularly (which proves that the bandwidth
> | > was wasted).
> |
> | That is a good point, but how wasteful is it really?
> | I mean large corporations and their servers must expect lots
> | of "hits" to their live feed,
> | with many people continuously listening to their station.
>
> This approach is does not matter when there are only a few folks that
> do this.  It doesn't scale.  Not really "fair" to put that load on
> their server.

How can there only be a "few folks" that do this (in effect)
when the live radio link is on their main web page?
If four people listen to CBC online for 6 hours that would produce
the same effect.  I don't expect "everyone" to do this, anyway.

And what about the future, when "everyone" is using Internet radio
in their cars (instead of broadcast or satellite)?

> | > I intend to try RockBox.
> |
> | Why is this better than using a USM MP3 player, if you have a choice?
> | Are you hacking it get it to work or to do something more?
>
> Open source means, in theory, that you can make it do what you want.

I mean what do you want to do that a USM MP3 player cannot do?
BTW, one common issue I've found with MP3 players, from the earliest
days, is that they tend to play in directory order ('find' command
order) rather than alphabetic, so I sometimes use a sorter script.

> | I don't bother with those "pay" DRM players.
>
> All new players that I've looked into have DRM.
>
> | I am now using an MPIO ML200 (2GB) player and am fairly satisfied
> | with it.  I copy MP3 files thru the USB port.
> | Yes, some older players even had more features.
> | The best one I had was the RioVolt SP250 MP3/CD player.
>
> The MPIO has no PaysForSure?

No, it does not.  But it advertises support for MP3, WMA, ASF.
http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=1419994&category=MP3-Flash&catalog=Online&tab=2&MSCSProfile=287001FD2674671CC1C6E1B8FD422E08EAD3D5C65DF5D0A76B78310BB0476D51A0EC6ED63FEC6E825B1BC833822929B8B36C289E01AC113B9EDD9680A46AA30F4F1AAD8DEF6136C6DA51DF8202BB0A1AF437A9E1D03C725859EF1E56FA70A4833086DCD7D7650F92B7A3EFE3BE0C4AA093BD557F5B1B629CDA1825171E0C39E89FEBFD3F79417B1E

It can save and play files in WAV (IMA ADPCM) format.
It cannot play files in WAV (Microsoft PCM) format, but
I think 'sox' can convert between the two.

--
Eric Battersby