capturing CBC Radio from an internet stream

Julian C. Dunn lists-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 7 02:12:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Eric Battersby wrote:

>> You mean capture the radio all the time?  That seems a bit rude:
>> wasting CBC's bandwidth for no good reason.  It would waste disk space
>> too unless I threw it away regularly (which proves that the bandwidth
>> was wasted).
>
> That is a good point, but how wasteful is it really? I mean large
> corporations and their servers must expect lots of "hits" to their live
> feed, with many people continuously listening to their station.

My day job is with the CBC, so I find this whole thread pretty amusing.
Don't worry, I'm sure that all your "capturing" is a drop in the bucket
compared to the number of listeners we get. We have people who are tuned
into the Ogg streams for something like 100 days.

Of course, if you and 1000 of your friends start doing it, it might be a
problem :-)

- Julian

[ Julian C. Dunn <jdunn-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>  *  "You can throw confetti,   ]
[ WWW: www.aquezada.com/staff/julian   *  but you're still going     ]
[ PGP: 91B3 7A9D 683C 7C16 715F        *  through the motions, baby" ]
[      442C 6065 D533 FDC2 05B9        *                - Aimee Mann ]